PRINT PAGEJared LopezPartner
Jared Lopez directs the Firm’s civil litigation practice. His practice focuses on civil litigation in the general commercial, corporate, and sports and entertainment fields. Jared’s clients include large multi-national corporations, high net worth individuals, athletes, entertainers and small businesses. In addition to his domestic clients, Jared regularly represents international clients in disputes before United States courts.
A seasoned front-line litigator, since 2011 Jared has been consistently recognized as a leading civil practitioner in Miami by the South Florida Legal Guide. He routinely practices in state and federal courts as well as arbitrations nationwide. Jared’s prior experience as a federal prosecutor with the United States Department of Justice provided him with the necessary skills to try several jury trials to verdict during his career, as well as arguing numerous cases in the courts of appeal.
In addition to litigating, Jared has significant experience in the negotiation and resolution of disputes prior to litigation. He is well-versed in the relevant business considerations involved for clients when contemplating litigation in the first instance and understands the needs of both individual clients as well as corporate general counsels during the decision making process.
Jared was named Partner in 2007. Since 2009, he has been listed in Florida Super Lawyers as a “Rising Star” in the areas of civil litigation and criminal defense. In 2011, Mr. Lopez was named one of Miami’s “Top 40 Under 40” outstanding lawyers by the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation.
- Carnival Cruise Lines, Ltd. v. Rolls-Royce plc, et al. - presently defending Rolls-Royce in a civil fraud and contract case.
- Trump Entertainment LLC v. Power Plant Entertainment – worked as part of litigation team defending the developer of the Seminole Hard Rock Hotel & Casino in Hollywood, FL, from allegations of civil fraud.
- Royal Caribbean Cruises, Ltd. v. Rolls-Royce plc, et al – defended Rolls-Royce in an alleged $900 million civil fraud and contract case.
- Kitzgard gmbh v. Checkgateway – represented German publicly traded bank in multi-million dollar arbitration dispute of depository funds.
- Banks Hardwoods Florida, LLC v. Maderas Iglesias, SA – represented Spanish company in commercial dispute over hardwood timber.
- Worked as part of trial team defending pharmaceutical distributor against criminal charges of health care fraud and money laundering.
- Additionally, Mr. Lopez has successfully represented numerous claimants in civil and criminal forfeiture cases.
Jared began his career as an attorney for the United States Customs Service in Washington, DC, and later served 5 years as a federal prosecutor in the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the District of Puerto Rico, where he was responsible for prosecuting cases involving federal crimes such as money laundering, business crimes, narcotics offenses and asset forfeiture.
Awards and Recognition
- "Florida Legal Elite," Florida Trend, 2011-2012
- "Rising Stars," Florida Super Lawyers, 2009, 2011
- "Top Lawyers," South Florida Legal Guide, 2013-2014
- "40 Under 40 Outstanding Lawyers of Miami-Dade County,” Cystic Fibrosis Foundation, 2011
- Florida, 1997
- U.S. Court of Appeals, First Circuit, 2001
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit, 2005