PRINT PAGELarry StumpfPartner
Mr. Stumpf, who has experience in Florida and New York, leads the firm’s civil litigation practice and specializes in commercial litigation, white-collar crime and related civil matters, including commercial contract and unfair competition claims. He has litigated a wide variety of claims in numerous states.
Mr. Stumpf is also an active owner-breeder in thoroughbred racing and has an in-depth knowledge of equine law. His horse, Flatter This, took home a first stakes victory, and then won again three weeks later at Calder Race Track in 2011. Flatter This won another Stakes victory in March 2013. Mr. Stumpf represents owners, jockeys, farms and others in the racing industry. He is both a member of the planning committee and a frequent speaker at the Annual Equine Law Conference presented by the University of Kentucky.
Chambers and Partners Legal Guide notes in their acknowledgement of his talent, that he "has a lot of passion, attention to detail, and [the] drive to get it right."
- Represents Rolls-Royce in a civil fraud and contract case. Carnival Cruise Lines, Ltd. v. Rossl-Royce plc, et al.
- Represented Rolls-Royce in an alleged $900-million civil fraud and contract case, Royal Caribbean Cruises, Ltd. v. Rolls-Royce plc, et al.
- Obtained two acquittals on charges of bribery and theft of public funds for California financier Calvin Grigsby in federal criminal cases and handled complex civil litigation with Miami-Dade County concerning the crane operation at the Port of Miami.
- Represented Grammy award-winning singer Enrique Iglesias in a $10 million contract dispute with his former manager.
- Successfully defended then-two-time Indianapolis 500 Champion Helio Castroneves in a big win over former racing world champion Emerson Fittipaldi when a jury denied Fittipaldi’s multi-million dollar claim that Castroneves had breached a management contract.
- Represented a private investigator in a major civil action, and a related congressional investigation involving entrapment of an environmental whistle blower.
- Favorably resolved ownership and control dispute of a national staffing company between two 50-percent owners involving claims of corporate wrongdoing.
- Represented (with Orlando counsel) a defendant in a criminal case alleging major violations of the Clean Water Act in connection with a hazardous waste disposal business.
- Represented a national Internet service provider in litigation involving its rights and duties of Internet Service Providers.
- Defended officers of developer in one of the first major criminal cases under the Clean Water Act in a matter involving claims of significant pollution of the Florida Bay.
- Represented large private community in litigation involving claims of material contract breaches regarding state of art water purification system.
Prior to joining the firm, Mr. Stumpf was head of the Miami litigation department of Florida’s largest law firm, Akerman Senterfitt. He has been a member of the New York Bar since 1973, and a member of the Florida Bar since 1979.
Awards and Recognition
- Chambers & Partners Legal Guide, Florida Litigation: General Commercial, 2009-2013
- AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated byMartindale-Hubbell
- "Best Lawyers," U.S. News Best Lawyers: Miami Civil Litigation, 2010-2013
- Best Lawyers in America, 2010-2012
- "Top Lawyers," South Florida Legal Guide, 2004-2013
- "Super Lawyer," Florida Super Lawyers, 2006, 2007, 2010-2012
- The Top 100 Trial Lawyers, The National Trial Lawyers, 2012
- "Florida Legal Elite," Florida Trend, 2004-2009
- "Best of the Bar," South Florida Business Journal, 2003-2010
- "Top 250 Lawyers in South Florida," South Florida Legal Guide, 2003
- Featured in South Florida CEO's "In Play" Segment, 2002
- New York, 1973
- Florida, 1979
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit, 1974
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit, 1981
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida, 1979
- American Bar Association (Litigation Section)
- Association of the Bar of New York
- Fellow, Litigation Counsel of America
- Flatter This earns first stakes victory (8/14/11)
- Flatter This wins Calder stakes as a favorite Motovato falters (9/3/11)
- Flatter This recovers from lackluster start to get win (10/28/12)
- Conference Presentation on Expert Witnesses in Equine Litigation, 28th Annual National Conference on Equine Law, the Nation's Authoritative Seminar on Equine Law, May 1-2, 2013, Lexington, KY
AV® Preeminent™ and BV® Distinguished™ are certification marks of Reed Elsevier Properties Inc., used in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies.