PRINT PAGEScott KornspanManaging Partner
Scott Kornspan has been the Managing Partner of the firm since 1996. As Managing Partner, Mr. Kornspan leads the firm’s management and administration of its criminal and civil litigation divisions. Mr. Kornspan’s business savvy and real-world experiences serve him well, both in managing the firm, as well as its clients’ cases.
Drawing upon and benefitting from his business experience, Mr. Kornspan is particularly and intricately involved in the firm’s white collar and commercial litigation cases, from intake to investigation and discovery, and through trial. He works closely with the firm’s attorneys and case consultants, developing strategy and managing the cases.
In the course of his practice at the firm, Mr. Kornspan has developed an expertise in crisis management. He often employs this special talent, not only to benefit the case at hand, but to preserve the career and personal life of the client. Mr. Kornspan often draws upon this experience for the firm’s high profile cases and clients.
Dismissal of matter involving Albertson's, Inc., when the State of Florida charged the Fortune 500 Company with manslaughter in the death of a shoplifter.
Worked on the defense of Eller Media Company (now Clearchannel Outdoor), in a state-court prosecution of a corporation for manslaughter in the alleged electrocution death of a 12-year-old boy. Ultimately, the defense proved that the actual cause of death was due to a lightning strike, and the jury acquitted the corporation.
Radio talk-show host, Rush Limbaugh was charged with multiple counts of felony doctor shopping. All charges were dismissed and the case was successfully diverted out of the criminal justice system.
- Working alongside partners Roy Black, Maria Neyra and Mark Shapiro, in addition to outside co-counsel, in a criminal investigation of one of the world's largest corporations and employers in an investigation conducted by the Miami-Dade County State Attorney's Office, the State of Florida declined to prosecute this corporate client after approximately 5 months of legal work.
Prior to joining the firm, Mr. Kornspan was an associate at Trenam Simmons (now known as Trenam Kemker), a premier Tampa law firm, where he focused his practice on commercial litigation and bankruptcy. He subsequently worked as the Vice President & General Counsel of a subsidiary to a publicly traded education company, where he handled both business and legal affairs.
Awards and Recognition
- "Best Lawyers," U.S. News Best Lawyers: Non-White-Collar and White-Collar Criminal Defense, 2013-2014
- "Top Lawyers," South Florida Legal Guide, 2003-2014
- "Top 100 Miami Super Lawyers," Florida Super Lawyers, 2013, 2015
- "Super Lawyer," Florida Super Lawyers, 2006-2015
- "Florida Legal Elite," Florida Trend, 2004-2012, 2014-2015
- "Best of the Bar," South Florida Business Journal, 2003-2010
- AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated byMartindale-Hubbell
- "Top 250 Lawyers in South Florida," South Florida Legal Guide, 2003
- University of Miami: Student Government President (two terms), 1984-86; Chief of the Iron Arrow Honor Society; Vice President of the University of Miami School of Law Moot Court Board
- Florida, 1990
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1997
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit, 1994
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida, 1990
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida, 1992
AV® Preeminent™ and BV® Distinguished™ are certification marks of Reed Elsevier Properties Inc., used in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies.