The success of Roy Black, one of this generation’s greatest trial lawyers, in celebrity criminal defense cases, such as the William Kennedy Smith rape trial in 1991, led to the beginning of America’s public interest in and television coverage of famous trials. Roy Black himself has become a well-known TV legal analyst, explaining complex matters to TV audiences for over 20 years.
The Firm is headed by Roy Black, one of the nation’s premier attorneys and selected by his peers for inclusion in "The Best Lawyers in America" every year since 1987. His 40+ years of career achievements include the successful defenses of William Kennedy Smith on a rape charge in Palm Beach; Eller Media (now Clearchannel Outdoor) in charges stemming from the electrocution of a 12-year-old boy in Miami; and Albertson's, Inc., when the State of Florida charged the Fortune 500 company with manslaughter in the death of a shoplifter. In addition, he has represented numerous other clients on charges ranging from murder to securities fraud, bank fraud, healthcare fraud, mortgage fraud, money laundering, internet sex crimes, mail and wire fraud, and tax evasion.
Mr. Black’s quality and caliber of work have made him known to the media and American public. He frequently serves as a legal analyst for all the major network and cable TV news programs, explaining complex cases in terms that laypeople can understand.
Howard Srebnick plays a major role in the Firm’s criminal division, as well as leads the Firm's appellate division, and helps set the standard for the thorough, zealous representation of clients that our practice delivers. He has been recognized as a masterful trial attorney, a reputation won through his handling of complex, high profile cases, many of which have centered on financial charges such as money laundering, racketeering, tax evasion and public corruption. He has twice been heard in the United States Supreme Court, winning a victory in 2016 in the case of United States v. Sila Luis.
Scott Kornspan is the firm’s Managing Partner, and he leads the Firm’s management and administration of its criminal and civil litigation divisions. He works closely with the Firm’s attorneys and case consultants, developing strategy and managing the cases. With Mr. Kornspan’s business knowledge, he often employs his special talent, not only to benefit the case at hand, but to preserve the career and personal life of the client.
In 2002, after numerous client requests, the Firm recognized that its trial skills easily could be transferred to the civil realm and established a civil litigation service to meet client needs. The Firm added Larry Stumpf, an accomplished civil trial attorney with over 30 years of experience in New York and Florida, to expand the Firm’s client services to include a civil litigation practice. In 2015, Larry Stumpf moved to Of Counsel status at the firm, continuing to handle legal work for his Firm clients. The leadership of the civil division passed along to Firm Partner Jared Lopez, who had worked side by side with Mr. Stumpf during the years of building the practice.
Whether criminal or civil, the Firm uses a team approach to prepare for these cases, often turning the direction of the case. The Firm believes that failing to prepare is akin to preparing to fail. They leave no stone unturned when taking apart every aspect of a case to find the solution. This sort of attention to detail and ability to change course is what makes BSKS different . . . and reassures clients that they have the best possible lawyers handling their cases.
The Firm and many of its lawyers have been voted or ranked as top in the industry, and we are proud to share some of the Firm’s honors here:
- Chambers USA, 2004-2017:
- "Black Srebnick is a brand-name, top-drawer firm,..." Chambers, 2017.
- "It's an outstanding firm. They get great work and they get good results for their people." Chambers, 2016.
- "When it comes to white-collar, they are an exceptional resource." Chambers, 2015.
- "Celebrated litigation boutique...." Chambers, 2014.
- "The group is absolutely first rate, with very creative outside-the-box thinking and a really sophisticated approach to its cases." Chambers, 2013.
- "This is a superb white-collar outlet. They have amazing people and a super team." Chambers, 2012.
- Best Law Firms, Miami Tier 1: Commercial Litigation; Criminal Defense: General Practice; Criminal Defense: White-Collar, U.S. News, 2017-2018
- Best Law Firms, National Tier 3: Appellate Practice, U.S. News, 2018
- Best Law Firms, Miami Tier 1: Criminal Defense: White Collar and Non-White-Collar; Commercial Litigation, U.S. News, 2014-2016
Best Law Firms, Miami Tier 1: Criminal Defense: White Collar - Government Investigations; White-Collar - Litigation; Non-White-Collar, Miami Tier 2: Commercial Litigation, U.S. News, 2013
- Best Law Firms, Miami Tier 1: Criminal Defense: White Collar, U.S. News, 2010-2012
- Best Lawyers, Top Listed Firm, U.S. News, 2014
- Top Law Firms, South Florida Legal Guide, 2001-2017
- Top 50, South Florida Business Journal, 2016
- Top Ranked Law Firm, FORTUNE Magazine, 2014
- Florida's Top Ranked Law Firms, Martindale-Hubbell, 2012-2013
BSKS: Dedicated Attention and Trial Preparation that Gets Results
BACK TO TOP