PRINT PAGEMichèle C. van MeeterenAssociate
Michèle is an impassioned, dedicated, and meticulous attorney who works tirelessly for her clients. She specializes in complex, white-collar criminal cases and investigations domestically and internationally, involving the FBI, SEC, Department of Justice, Department of Human Health and Services, and Interpol.
Michèle regularly represents corporations, CEO/senior executives, and individuals against charges such as conspiracy, wire fraud, money laundering, public corruption, bribery, healthcare fraud, and violations of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act. Always striving for excellence, Michèle takes command of the facts of a case and devises an effective and winning strategy, whether by negotiating a resolution or standing ready, and thoroughly prepared, for trial.
Michèle has been recognized as a Florida Legal Elite attorney.
- Represented a privately owned healthcare company against conspiracy, kickback, and healthcare fraud charges resulting in a successful non-trial resolution.
- Aggressively investigated and successfully defended public corruption allegations and an Interpol Red Notice involving a member of a prominent and wealthy Latin American family.
- Successfully represented an entrepreneur who was a subject of the FIFA criminal investigation.
- Key member of the team defending the biggest Medicare healthcare fraud case to date, involving charges of conspiracy, healthcare fraud, money laundering, wire fraud, bribery, and obstruction of justice. The trial in this case was seven weeks long, involved more than 25 testifying government witnesses, and over 550 government exhibits.
- Currently representing a professional who is facing allegations of money laundering and Foreign Corrupt Practices Act violations in a case originating out of Latin America and pending in the Southern District of Florida.
Michèle is well known to the Firm because before attending law school, she worked for three years as a Paralegal in the Firm’s Criminal Division with Roy Black. She left the Firm to pursue her law degree.
Michèle earned her J.D. from Nova Southeastern University in 2010. As a Certified Legal Intern during law school, she worked in the Miami-Dade Public Defender’s Juvenile Delinquent Division defending minors accused of sexual battery.
After Michèle graduated from law school, she joined a prominent Florida law firm. As an associate there, she represented individuals and public and privately-held corporations. She conducted internal investigations and defended clients in state and federal matters involving public corruption, insurance fraud, mortgage fraud, and Foreign Corrupt Practices Act violations.
Prior to Michèle’s legal career, she worked in the off-shore banking industry in the Caribbean and Europe.
Awards and Recognition
- "Florida Legal Elite," Florida Trend, 2019
- Florida, 2011
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida, 2012
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Florida Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, Miami Chapter
- American Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association, South Florida Chapter