PRINT PAGERoy BlackSenior Partner
Roy Black, the senior partner of Black, Srebnick, Kornspan & Stumpf, P.A., is one of the nation's premier trial and appellate lawyers. With 40+ years’ experience as a criminal defense attorney, he has handled hundreds of cases in Florida and throughout the United States. He also handles select civil lawsuits, offering his clients a complete service in high-stakes cases. Perhaps best known for his successful defense of William Kennedy Smith on rape charges in Palm Beach, Florida, Mr. Black also successfully defended Eller Media (now known as Clear Channel Outdoor) against manslaughter charges stemming from the bus-bench electrocution of a 12-year-old boy in Miami; Albertson's, Inc., when the State of Florida charged the Fortune 500 company with manslaughter in the death of a shoplifter; and artist Peter Max in New York. Other noteworthy clients have included Rush Limbaugh, Kelsey Grammer, South Florida police officers Luis Alvarez and William Lozano and banker Fred De la Mata. Roy has defended numerous other clients on charges ranging from murder to securities fraud, bank fraud, healthcare fraud, money laundering, internet sex crimes, mail and wire fraud and tax evasion.
Mr. Black successfully represented 3-time Indy 500 winner and Dancing with the Stars champion Helio Castroneves in a 6-week tax trial where he was charged with income tax evasion.
Annually since 1987, Mr. Black has been selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America®, a widely used guide to the nation's top legal talent. He has also been recognized by Chambers and Partners, an internationally prestigious legal guide, as a top criminal defense attorney and as having "the best national reputation in the State [of Florida]." Chambers went on to say that Mr. Black is “one of the few who are famous for being good and actually practice at that standard,” and that he is “[s]o good, he is scary good.” Chambers further said that “no one is as well prepared or has the presence in court of Roy Black,” and “he is uniquely gifted in front of juries; and is so good he is famous for it.”
Mr. Black served as NBC’s legal analyst on “The Today Show,” and has frequently appeared on ABC’s “Good Morning America,” serving as commentator and legal analyst for noteworthy legal cases in the news. He has also appeared as a guest commentator on legal issues on several other network and cable news programs. The author of Black's Law, a book that recounts the strategies he employed to safeguard the freedom of four clients, Mr. Black has also taught advanced criminal evidence at the University of Miami School of Law for over 40 years.
- Acquittal of William Kennedy Smith on rape charges in Palm Beach, Florida
Dropped charges of doctor shopping obtained for Rush Limbaugh
Acquittal of Eller Media on manslaughter charges stemming from the bus-bench electrocution of a 12-year-old boy in Miami
Dismissal of matter involving Albertson's, Inc., when the State of Florida charged the Fortune 500 Company with manslaughter in the death of a shoplifter
Represented artist Peter Max in New York on income tax evasion charges
Acquittal of South Florida police officers Luis Alvarez and William Lozano, who were accused of manslaughter in separate shootings
Acquittal of a Miami jewelry supplier and his sales manager on charges of laundering more than $8 million in cocaine profits for Colombian drug lords
Acquittal of a Miami attorney charged in an internet sex case
Acquittal of 3-time Indy race car and Dancing with the Stars champion Helio Castroneves charged with income tax evasion
Lead trial attorney defending one of the largest charged financial crimes involving derivatives in the Southern District of New York to date, this Senior Executive and Vice President of the once leading residential mortgage lender in Puerto Rico, received a 5-year sentence following the government aggressively seeking a 27-34 year sentence.
Represented the father of an infant child who was under threat of imminent arrest and the removal of his infant son and young daughter to DCF custody. Client, father of a nine-month-old who sustained a severe brain injury, appeared in our office for urgent help. The father said the injury occurred when the child fell backwards off of his parents' bed and onto a hardwood floor. Police detectives and treating physicians did not believe our client's explanation and pressed the State Attorney for an arrest and charges. Given only two weeks by the prosecutor to convince her that charges should not be filed, attorneys Roy Black and Mark Shapiro tapped every available resource, pulling together the country's leading engineering and medical experts on "short fall" injuries. Meeting the two- week deadline, the prosecutor was presented not only with detailed written opinions from our consultants, but with a full PowerPoint presentation given by one of the medical experts. No charges were filed.
Working alongside partners Scott Kornspan, Maria Neyra and Mark Shapiro, in addition to outside co-counsel, successfully defended one of the world's largest corporations and employers in an investigation conducted by the Miami-Dade County State Attorney's Office. Approximately 5 months after the investigation began, the State of Florida declined to prosecute.
Obtained probation at sentencing, which resulted in possibly the shortest term of federal probation ever imposed, for Mary Estelle Curran, an elderly widow charged in one of the largest offshore bank account tax cases for failing to pay taxes and disclose $43 million held in accounts at UBS and LGT in Switzerland. At sentencing in United States District Court for the Southern District of Florida Ms. Curran was sentenced to probation, which was immediately terminated, resulting in five seconds of federal probation.
- Working with partner Maria Neyra, conducted an internal investigation of a vending machine company entangled in a nationwide multi-agency operation against business opportunities. Presented findings to the U.S. Department of Justice’s Consumer Branch Division, which resulted in a resolution of the case for the successor company and the non-prosecution of our individual client.
Represented a prominent South Florida gastroenterologist charged with fraudulently underpaying more than five million dollars in federal income taxes over a five-year period. Mr. Black was integral in negotiating a global plea agreement binding on the U.S. government and the IRS that resulted in the dismissal of all but one of the charges. Additionally, the agreement explicitly included the understanding that the client’s underlying conduct in no way involved or implicated the practice of medicine. This component of the agreement was critical in order to preserve the client’s medical license and, therefore, his ability to continue practicing medicine. More importantly, however, preserving the client’s medical license ensured his ability to continue providing first class medical care to the many "medically underserved” communities that he has served for over a decade. At sentencing, Mr. Black’s presentation included a 177-page sentencing memorandum and a 13-minute DVD consisting of interviews of patients, colleagues, friends, and community leaders highlighting the client’s tremendous community service efforts. Ultimately, Mr. Black, together with firm partner, Mr. Beaton, successfully convinced the District Court to impose a sentence well below the sentence recommended by the U.S. Sentencing Guidelines and actively sought by the government.
Mr. Black served as a public defender in Miami-Dade County prior to entering private practice. During his five years as a public defender, he represented hundreds of indigent defendants in felony and capital cases.
Awards and Recognition
- AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell since 1980
- U.S. News Best Lawyers, 1987-2018
- "Best Lawyers," U.S. News Best Lawyers - Miami: White-Collar Criminal Defense, 2006-2019; Commercial Litigation, 2016-2019; Criminal Defense: General Practice, 2006-2019; Non-White-Collar Criminal Defense, 1987-2017; Appellate Practice, 2018-2019
- Best Lawyers Business Edition, Criminal Defense: General Practice, 2016
- Lawyer of the Year - U.S. News Best Lawyers, Miami Criminal Defense: White-Collar, 2010; Miami Criminal Defense: Non-White-Collar, 2012, 2015
- Florida Super Lawyer
- "The Top 10," Florida Super Lawyers, 2006, 2009-2010, 2013 (Ranked #2), 2014 (Ranked #2), 2015 (Ranked #3), 2016 (Ranked #3), 2017
- "Top 100 Miami Super Lawyers," Florida Super Lawyers, 2010-2018
- "The Top 100," Florida Super Lawyers, 2006-2018
- "Top 50 Orlando Super Lawyers," Florida Super Lawyers, 2007
- Selected for Super Lawyer Advisory Board, 2010
- Featured on the Cover of 2007 Florida Super Lawyers
- "Top Lawyers," South Florida Legal Guide, 2001-2018
- Florida Trend
- "Florida Legal Elite Hall of Fame," Florida Trend, 2009-2018
- "Florida Legal Elite," Florida Trend, 2004-2018
- Chambers and Partners
- Key Individual - Litigation: White-Collar Crime & Government Investigations (Star Individual), 2018. "Black offers 'a really outstanding legal practice,' and . . . 'nobody works harder, no one puts more effort in.'"
- Key Individual - Litigation: White-Collar Crime & Government Investigations (Star Individual), 2017. "Roy Black is . . . 'the king of white-collar defense in Miami.'"
- Key Individual - Litigation: White-Collar Crime & Government Investigations (Star Individual), 2016. "Roy Black stands out to peers as someone who has 'gotten amazing results over his career . . .'" and "with one source describing him as 'one of the best cross-examiners I have ever seen!'"
- Key Individual - Litigation: White-Collar Crime & Government Investigations (Star Individual), 2015. "The 'wonderful' Roy Black is an 'outstanding criminal defense attorney,' . . . [and is] particularly highly regarded for the caliber of his white-collar criminal defense practice . . . ."
- Key Individual - Litigation: White-Collar Crime & Government Investigations (Star Individual), 2014. "[H]is reputation is well deserved . . . a class act, a quick study and always a gentleman."
- Key Individual - Litigation: White-Collar Crime & Government Investigations (Star Individual), 2013. "[O]ne of the best lawyers down here, hands down."
- Key Individual - Litigation: White-Collar Crime & Government Investigations (Star Individual), 2012. He is "the 'go-to guy if you need to try a case and you need to win.'"
- Key Individual - Litigation: White-Collar Crime & Government Investigations (Star Individual), 2011. "He is the guy you want sitting next to you if you go to court."
- Key Individual - Litigation: White-Collar Crime & Government Investigations (Star Individual), 2010. "There's no denying he's a winner!"
- Ranked as Star Individual in Chambers and Partners Legal Guide, Florida Litigation: General Commercial, 2012
- Highest ranked in Chambers and Partners Legal Guide, Florida Litigation: White-Collar Crime & Government Investigations, 2004-2011
- Finalist (short-listed), Chambers USA Awards for Excellence, Litigation: White Collar Crime & Government Investigations (individuals), 2008, 2010
- Key Individual - Litigation: White-Collar Crime & Government Investigations, 2005-2009.
- Voted as Legal Luminary (Top White Collar Attorney), Dade County Bar Association, 2017
- Lifetime Achievement Award, Daily Business Review, 2015
- Person of the Year, Daily Business Review, 2014
- Minette Massey Award (presented to distinguished alumni for bringing honor and recognition to the University of Miami School of Law for a lifetime of outstanding personal or professional achievement), University of Miami School of Law, 2014
- “Most Effective Lawyers: Criminal Justice,” Daily Business Review, 2009
- “Most Effective Lawyers: Criminal Defense,” Daily Business Review, 2005
- William R. Butler Community Service Award, University of Miami, 2005
- Criminal Justice Award, Dade County Bar Association, 1991
- Nelson Poynter Award (for voluntary representation of prisoners on Florida's death row), 1982
- "The Round Table: America's 50 Most Influential Trial Lawyers," The Trial Lawyer Magazine, 2017-2018
- "The Round Table: America's 100 Most Influential Trial Lawyers," The Trial Lawyer Magazine, 2012-2015
- Nation's Top One Percent, National Association of Distinguished Counsel, Founding Member, 2015
- Nation's Top Attorneys, National Association of Distinguished Counsel, Founding Member, 2014
- "Top 100 Litigation Lawyers in the State of Florida," The American Society of Legal Advocates, 2014
- Lawdragon 500 Leading Lawyers in America, 2010-2012
- Top 100 Trial Lawyers, The National Trial Lawyers, 2007-2012; State Executive Committee Member, 2018.
- Who's Who Legal: Business Crime Defence, 2005-2018
- Who's Who Legal - Compendium Edition, 2017
- "Leading Lawyer 500,"Intercontinental Finance Magazine, 2013
- Marquis Who’s Who in the World, 2011
- "Best of the Bar," South Florida Business Journal, 2003-2010
- "Legal IMPACT Leader," South Florida Business Leader, 2010
- "South Florida Power Player," South Florida Business Leader, 2010
- Achieved the highest score on the Florida Bar Exam in 1970
- Florida, 1970
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1976
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit, 1984, 2011
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit, 1982, 2011
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit, 1984
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit, 1984
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eighth Circuit, 1985
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit, 1984
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Tenth Circuit, 2003
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit, 1981
- U.S. Court of Appeals, District of Columbia Circuit, 1984
- U.S. District Court, District of Colorado, 2001
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida, 2007
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Florida, 2008
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida, 1975
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Indiana, 2010
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers (Life Member)
- Florida Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- International Academy of Trial Lawyers
- American College of Trial Lawyers (Fellow)
- The National Trial Lawyers (Executive Committee)
- American Bar Association
- Miami-Dade County Bar Association
- Eugene Spellman Inns of Court
Links to Articles and Interviews