Scott Kornspan served as the Firm’s Managing Partner for more than 25 years. With an unprecedented commitment to achieving the best possible result in everything he does, Scott cares deeply about the people he served — his fellow partners, the Firm’s professional team, and the Firm’s clients and their families.
Scott influenced the Firm’s culture and helped build the Firm into a formidable litigation boutique that rivals any other in the country. By recruiting the right talent, Scott served as the primary driver for the Firm’s deep bench of undeniable skill in criminal defense and civil litigation. His laser sharp focus on expanding the Firm’s capabilities and meticulous attention to detail resulted in a specialized practice both large enough to be a veritable force, yet small enough to deliver unrivalled, individualized attention to clients.
Considerate, balanced, fair and thoughtful, Scott approached all management decisions with the paradigm of protecting Firm clients and supporting peak performance from the litigation team that represents them. Notably, Scott led the management and administration of the Firm’s Criminal and Civil Litigation Divisions for more than two decades. His business savvy and real-world experience served everyone around him well, not only in operational decisions, but also in client case analysis and proactive problem-solving endeavors. Scott also developed a particular expertise in crisis management.
Drawing upon and benefitting from his business experience, Scott was particularly and intricately involved in the Firm’s white collar and commercial litigation cases, from intake to investigation and discovery through trial. In fact, Scott worked behind the scenes on practically every major case the Firm had during his tenure, ensuring the right team and strategy were in place to support the best possible advocacy imaginable.
In cases that were fast-paced and stressful, particularly for the client, Scott remained dedicated to acting as a catalyst for total quality management and world class legal advice. Scott is appreciated for his seemingly innate ability to analyze a matter for issues that are somewhat unclear but should be taken into consideration when furthering the client’s position.
Because Scott understands how litigation will directly impact the client, his/her family and his/her business and reputation, he developed significant expertise in crisis management. Scott frequently drew upon this special talent not only to benefit the case at hand, but also to preserve the career and personal life of clients involved in high profile matters.
Black Srebnick Experience
- Dismissal of the matter involving Albertson’s, Inc., when the State of Florida charged the Fortune 500 Company with manslaughter in the death of a shoplifter.
- Worked on the defense of Eller Media Company (now Clearchannel Outdoor), in a state-court prosecution of a corporation for manslaughter in the alleged electrocution death of a 12-year-old boy. Ultimately, the defense proved that the actual cause of death was a lightning strike, and the jury acquitted the corporation.
- Radio talk-show host Rush Limbaugh was charged with multiple counts of felony doctor shopping. All charges were dismissed, and the case was successfully diverted out of the criminal justice system.
- Working alongside partners Roy Black, Maria Neyra, and Mark Shapiro, in addition to outside co-counsel, in a criminal investigation of one of the world’s largest corporations and employers in an investigation conducted by the Miami-Dade County State Attorney’s Office, the State of Florida declined to prosecute this corporate client after approximately 5 months of legal work.
Prior to joining the firm, Scott was an Associate at Trenam Simmons (now known as Trenam Kemker), a premier Tampa law firm. He focused his practice on commercial litigation and bankruptcy. Scott subsequently worked as the Vice President & General Counsel of a subsidiary to a publicly-traded education company, where he handled both business and legal affairs.
Awards & Recognition
- “Best Lawyers,” Best Lawyers: White-Collar Criminal Defense, 2013-2021; Criminal Defense: Non-White-Collar/General Practice, 2013-2021
- “Super Lawyer,” Florida Super Lawyers, 2006-2023
- “Top Lawyers,” South Florida Legal Guide, 2003-2019
- “Florida Legal Elite,” Criminal Law, 2004-2012, 2014-2019; Commercial Litigation, 2020, Florida Trend
- Best Lawyers Business Edition, Criminal Defense: General Practice, 2016
- “Top 100 Miami Super Lawyers,” Florida Super Lawyers, 2013, 2015
- “Best of the Bar,” South Florida Business Journal, 2003-2010
- “Top 250 Lawyers in South Florida,” South Florida Legal Guide, 2003
- AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- University of Miami: Student Government President (two terms), 1984-86; Chief of the Iron Arrow Honor Society; Vice President of the University of Miami School of Law Moot Court Board
AV® Preeminent™ and BV® Distinguished™ are certification marks of Reed Elsevier Properties Inc., used in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards, and policies.