PRINT PAGEScott KornspanCo-Managing Partner
Scott Kornspan has served as BSKS's Managing Partner (and now Co-managing Partner) for more than 25 years. With an unprecedented commitment to achieving the best possible result in everything he does, Scott cares deeply about the people he serves — his fellow partners, the firm's professional team, and the firm's clients and their families.
Considerate, balanced, fair and thoughtful, Scott approaches all management decisions with the paradigm of protecting firm clients and supporting peak performance from the litigation team that represents them. Notably, Scott led the management and administration of the firm's Criminal and Civil Litigation Divisions for more than two decades. His business savvy and real-world experience served everyone around him well, not only when it came to operational decisions, but also in client case analysis and proactive problem-solving endeavors. Scott has also developed a particular expertise in crisis management.
Drawing upon and benefitting from his business experience, Scott was particularly and intricately involved in the firm's white collar and commercial litigation cases, from intake to investigation and discovery through trial. In fact, Scott has worked behind the scenes on practically every major case the firm has had, ensuring the right team and strategy are in place to support the best possible advocacy imaginable.
In cases that were fast-paced and stressful, particularly for the client, Scott remained dedicated to acting as a catalyst for total quality management and world class legal advice. Scott is appreciated for his seemingly innate ability to analyze a matter for issues that are somewhat unclear but should be taken into consideration when furthering the client's position.
Because Scott understands how litigation will directly impact the client, his/her family and his/her business and reputation, he developed significant expertise in crisis management. Scott frequently drew upon this special talent not only to benefit the case at hand, but also to preserve the career and personal life of such clients involved in high profile matters.
Scott has influenced BSKS's culture and helped build the firm into a formidable litigation boutique that rivals any other in the country. By recruiting the right talent, Scott has served as the primary driver for the firm's deep bench of undeniable skill in criminal defense and civil litigation. His laser sharp focus on expanding the firm's capabilities and meticulous attention to detail have resulted in a specialized practice both large enough to be a veritable force, yet small enough to deliver unrivalled, individualized attention to clients
Dismissal of matter involving Albertson's, Inc., when the State of Florida charged the Fortune 500 Company with manslaughter in the death of a shoplifter.
Worked on the defense of Eller Media Company (now Clearchannel Outdoor), in a state-court prosecution of a corporation for manslaughter in the alleged electrocution death of a 12-year-old boy. Ultimately, the defense proved that the actual cause of death was due to a lightning strike, and the jury acquitted the corporation.
Radio talk-show host, Rush Limbaugh was charged with multiple counts of felony doctor shopping. All charges were dismissed and the case was successfully diverted out of the criminal justice system.
- Working alongside partners Roy Black, Maria Neyra and Mark Shapiro, in addition to outside co-counsel, in a criminal investigation of one of the world's largest corporations and employers in an investigation conducted by the Miami-Dade County State Attorney's Office, the State of Florida declined to prosecute this corporate client after approximately 5 months of legal work.
Prior to joining the firm, Scott was an Associate at Trenam Simmons (now known as Trenam Kemker), a premier Tampa law firm, where he focused his practice on commercial litigation and bankruptcy. Scott subsequently worked as the Vice President & General Counsel of a subsidiary to a publicly traded education company, where he handled both business and legal affairs.
Awards and Recognition
- "Best Lawyers," U.S. News Best Lawyers: White-Collar Criminal Defense, 2013-2020; Criminal Defense: Non-White-Collar/General Practice, 2013-2020
- "Super Lawyer," Florida Super Lawyers, 2006-2019
- "Top Lawyers," South Florida Legal Guide, 2003-2019
- "Florida Legal Elite," Florida Trend, 2004-2012, 2014-2019
- Best Lawyers Business Edition, Criminal Defense: General Practice, 2016
- "Top 100 Miami Super Lawyers," Florida Super Lawyers, 2013, 2015
- "Best of the Bar," South Florida Business Journal, 2003-2010
- "Top 250 Lawyers in South Florida," South Florida Legal Guide, 2003
- AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- University of Miami: Student Government President (two terms), 1984-86; Chief of the Iron Arrow Honor Society; Vice President of the University of Miami School of Law Moot Court Board
- Florida, 1990
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1997
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 11th Circuit, 1994-2015
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida, 1990-2010
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida, 1992-2012